Theater Quote for Today:
There's always something more to be accomplished with a character. Theater is a human experience. There's nothing shellacked or finished off about it. I guess that's why it always draws me back.
Today in Theater History:
ElfNote ✍: The cast of this show was quite a gift. It is a testament that Al Pacino, while a huge presence on stage, was not the highlight; all the actors were impressive.
(milestones courtesy of playbillvault.com)
ElfNote ✍: I found much to like about this production; especially in the performance of Condola Rashad, who is just luminous on stage.
ElfNote ✍: Dance and choreography have been a love of mine since I was a wee child, and I always take note of the choreographer in a show. Unfortunately, Graciela's most recent work hasn't been seen on Broadway, since Rebecca did not open as planned last year.
Did you know?
- I'm having a fabulous birthday week, NYC/Theater edition, so far :)... #elfbirthdayweek2013
- Bullets Over Broadway has announced the casting of Marin Mazzie as Helen Sinclair (played by Dianne Wiest in the film), the lead role. She joins Zach Braff, Brooks Ashmanskas, Betsy Wolfe and others, in the Susan Stroman-directed stage adaptation.
- I sent the Elf Niece to If/Then last week to get a teenage perspective :). Her one word review: "AMAZING!" (caps hers). She especially enjoyed the message of human connectedness, the humor, the music and the set.
- HAPPY HANUKKAH to all celebrating the festival of lights!! Wishing you some stage lights this year too! :)
- I had a great time last week at the stage door after Waiting for Godot, starring Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart. Read about it in my Stage Door Tales/"Waiting" for fun! blog post of Nov 27 '13.
- All The Way, which premiered at American Repertory Theatre in Boston in Fall '13, and stars Bryan Cranston as Lyndon Johnson, has found a Broadway home at the Neil Simon Theatre beginning in Mar '14. Playbill.com has more on the timing and casting here. Read about my experience after the show in Boston at Stage Door Tales: Breaking Good.
- James Franco and Chris O'Dowd will land on Broadway in the revival of Of Mice and Men, at the Longacre Theatre in March '14. Previews begin Mar 19 '14 and the run is being billed as "strictly limited."
- Sutton Foster (Shrek, Anything Goes, TV's Bunheads) will headline Roundabout Theatre Company's spring production, a revival of Jeanine Tesori's Violet, beginning in late Mar '14.
- For those of you who love theater, Broadway, and/or just love a good story, the new book The Untold Stories of Broadway, by theater historian and producer, Jennifer Ashley Tepper, is now available on Amazon.com!!
- Some good news! Fun Home at the Public Theater has been extended for a fifth time through Jan 12 '13. Go see it :).
- Check out my theater-going adventures from October at Stage Right...Now/October '13.
Theatre Video Picks:
In honor of the wonderful Broadway performances in yesterday's Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and to say thank you for the abundance of theater in my life, here are Robert Creighton (The Mystery of Edwin Drood) and Joel Grey (um, legend :)) (posted on YouTube by StageRush 2/18/12)
Is the musical stage production of King Kong, which has had several extensions of its original Melbourne, Australia engagement coming to Broadway? The rumors seem to suggest that might happen next year (it ends its Melbourne run on Feb 16 '14).
Enjoy Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan talking about their current Broadway collaboration in No Man's Land and Waiting For Godot, playing in repertory at The Cort Theatre:
A wonderfully classic and hilarious presentation of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night starring Mark Rylance and Stephen Fry is currently running on Broadway. Here's Stephen with a taste of the fun:
Enjoy a taste of the upcoming new Broadway musical A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder!
Meet "Beautiful - The Carole King Musical":
The "If/Then" team has offered us a wonderful "First Look" at this new musical, which will have its pre-Broadway run at Washington, DC's classic National Theatre in Nov '13.
This is absolute genius! Just enjoy :) (I saw her perform in "Newsical The Musical" and she stole the show!)
A brief introduction to The Glass Menagerie, now running on Broadway at The Booth Theatre, from director Diane Paulus, on its A.R.T. run last December:
Big Fish is currently running at the Neil Simon Theatre (it closes Dec 29 '13, so you only have a few more weeks to enjoy it!):
Now playing at Broadway's Lyceum Theatre, here's a taste of One Night With Janis Joplin from the 2012 run at Arena Stage:
Listen to Michael Urie talk about his solo show "Buyer & Cellar," which moved to The Barrow Street Theatre after a successful run at the smaller Rattlestick Playwrights Theater. Michael won the 2013 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Solo Performance. The BST run has been extended through Jan 5 '14.
"Pippin," winner of the 2013 Tony Award for Best Revival:
The new production of "Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella," in its first time on stage (it was originally written for television and starred Julie Andrews) features a book by Douglas Carter Beane, and stars Laura Osnes and Santino Fontana. The show received 9 2013 Tony Award nominations.
stagescape noun \stājskāp\: defn. the mind & heart's-eye view created by all the theater experiences you add to your life; altn. the compound term created from "stage" and "escape," and meaning to have an adventure at the theater that takes you both outside and inside yourself!
Follow me on Instagram too!
Shows I've Seen/Will See