Today's Theater Quote:
Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world.
One of my favorite times of the year is the New York Musical Theatre Festival! I'll be seeing more than a dozen shows, including readings and full productions. The tickets are in the $20-25 range, so if you are geographically desirable :), check some out! Click the image below for more information on the festival, with a full rundown on all of the events and ticketing info!
This year's Capital Fringe Festival has a veritable feast of new theater for the watching :)! Tickets are inexpensive and the venues are accessible to public transportation! Click the image below for more information on the festival, with a full rundown on all of the events and ticketing info!
You may have seen the preview number on the Tony Awards show from the new Diane Paulus-directed musical adaptation of the film Finding Neverland, which will premier at Boston's American Repertory Theater in late summer '14. For more information, and tickets, click the image below.
Bullets Over Broadway closes on Aug 24 '14
Bring friends and family to Signature Theatre in Arlington, VA, and enjoy free performances, activities for the kids and special opportunities to purchase discount tickets for the productions that make up the 2014-15 season!
August may signify the end of summer, but thanks to Signature Theatre in Arlington, VA, it will mark the start of the revival of Sunday in the Park With George, starring Broadway vets Claybourne Elder and Brynn O'Malley.
Well-known actor Will Swenson is currently starring as Javert in the revival of Les Misérables on Broadway, but come July 22, he'll be taking a hiatus from that role to star in a new musical, Bull Durham (based on the film of the same name), at Atlanta's Alliance Theatre. He'll be joined by leading lady, Melissa Errico, seen in NYC in 2013 in the revival of Passion at the Off Broadway Classic Stage Theatre.
In the wings:
- My Stage Door Tales blog post, Hedwig Hangs Out, is about how the stage door made for some damp fun at Hedwig and the Angry Inch last month.
- Looking for the official website or Twitter feed of a show? You'll find an alphabetical listing of current and past shows on my Stage Directions: Show Websites/Twitter Feed page.
- There are numerous well-known actors from various genres appearing on Broadway in 2014. I've done a (not exhaustive :)) list, Star Lights, Stars Bright on the Stage Presence: A Blog page.
- All The Way, which premiered at American Repertory Theatre in Boston in Fall '13, and stars Bryan Cranston as Lyndon Johnson is now running at the Neil Simon Theatre. Read about my experience after the show in Boston at Stage Door Tales: Breaking Good.
- Check out my Stage Sprites page for more kid-centered theater information.
- If you have and/or know a child who would enjoy a theater-focused camp this summer (and some theater's have kids' programs all year round!), Broadway Direct has an overview of some considerations when searching for the right place!
- If you're looking for a list of current shows I've enjoyed, and would recommend, you'll find it on the Stage Directions/Let's See a Show page.
- I often get asked about preview periods of Broadway (and other) shows, and whether to see a show during previews. So I did the logical thing, and made a Culturalist list: StageElf's Top Ten Best Reasons to See a Broadway Show in Previews :)! Enjoy!
- I've shared some favorite memories of my theatrical adventures in 2013 in my post Memories from the House 2013 on the Stage Presence: A Blog page.
- I had a great time at the stage door after Waiting for Godot, starring Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart. Read about it in my Stage Door Tales/"Waiting" for fun! blog post of Nov 27 '13.
- For those of you who love theater, Broadway, and/or just love a good story, the new book The Untold Stories of Broadway, by theater historian and producer, Jennifer Ashley Tepper, is now available on Amazon.com!!
Theatre Video Picks:
The On The Town boys took on NYC! The show opens this fall at The Lyric Theater (formerly known as The Foxwoods Theatre)
It's a wild ride with Neil Patrick Harris on Broadway this summer, and he, Lena Hall (his costar) and the show are all now Tony winners! Andrew Rannells, Tony nominee for The Book of Mormon, will take over the role of Hedwig from Harris on Aug 20 '14.
Enjoy a taste of the Broadway musical A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, that now has the honor of being the show with the most (10!) Tony nominations and multiple wins!
Another show with multiple Tony nominations, here's a preview of Sutton Foster's return to Broadway in the revival of Violet:
Alan Cumming talks to CBS This Morning about his return to the role of the Emcee in Cabaret on Broadway, which has been extended into Jan '15!
The new musical, Bullets Over Broadway includes Zach Braff, and some of my favorite stage actors: Betsy Wolfe, Marin Mazzie, Brooks Ashmanskas and more! The show has announced that it will end its run on Aug 24 '14.
"Beautiful - The Carole King Musical":
It's BACK! Les Misérables is now running again at The Imperial Theatre on Broadway.
A Theatre View of One's Own
stagescape noun \stājskāp\: defn. the mind & heart's-eye view created by all the theater experiences you add to your life; altn. the compound term created from "stage" and "escape," and meaning to have an adventure at the theater that takes you both outside and inside yourself!
Follow me on Instagram too!
Shows I've Seen/Will See