Today's Theater Quote:
I want to give the audience a hint of a scene. No more than that. Give them too much and they won't contribute anything themselves. Give them just a suggestion and you get them working with you. That's what gives the theater meaning: when it becomes a social act.
Fun Home, which had an acclaimed run Off Broadway at The Public Theater in NYC, will have a Broadway run next spring, opening just in time to be eligible for this season's Tony Awards season. The show will run at Circle in the Square, with previews beginning Apr 4 '15.
The new Diane Paulus-directed musical adaptation of the film Finding Neverland, has officially opened at Boston's American Repertory Theater. A transfer to Broadway has already been announced, with previews beginning in Mar '15. For more information and tickets for the Boston run, click the image below.
The new revival of Side Show, which recently had its premiere run at Washington, DC's Kennedy Center, has announced its Broadway engagement as well. The show will play the St. James Theatre, and previews begin Oct 28 '14!
Well-known actor Will Swenson is currently starring as Javert in the revival of Les Misérables on Broadway, but come July 22, he'll be taking a hiatus from that role to star in a new musical, Bull Durham (based on the film of the same name), at Atlanta's Alliance Theatre. He'll be joined by leading lady, Melissa Errico, seen in NYC in 2013 in the revival of Passion at the Off Broadway Classic Stage Theatre.
In the wings:
- Meet the multitalented Matthew Gardiner, Associate Artistic Director of Virginia's Signature Theatre and director of the season opener, Sunday in the Park with George, who I recently interviewed for BroadwayWorld.com: Direct From Signature with Matthew Gardiner.
- On Aug 2 '14, DC's Signature Theatre invited its fans and neighbors to an Open House celebration of their 2014-15 season. Read about all the fun I had in my report for BroadwayWorld.com : Signature Theatre's 25th Anniversary Open House: 'Signature Surprises' All Season Long!
- My Stage Door Tales blog post, Hedwig Hangs Out, is about how the stage door made for some damp fun at Hedwig and the Angry Inch last month.
- Looking for the official website or Twitter feed of a show? You'll find an alphabetical listing of current and past shows on my Stage Directions: Show Websites/Twitter Feed page.
- There are numerous well-known actors from various genres appearing on Broadway in 2014. I've done a (not exhaustive :)) list, Star Lights, Stars Bright on the Stage Presence: A Blog page.
- Check out my Stage Sprites page for more kid-centered theater information.
- If you have and/or know a child who would enjoy a theater-focused camp this summer (and some theater's have kids' programs all year round!), Broadway Direct has an overview of some considerations when searching for the right place!
- If you're looking for a list of current shows I've enjoyed, and would recommend, you'll find it on the Stage Directions/Let's See a Show page.
- I often get asked about preview periods of Broadway (and other) shows, and whether to see a show during previews. So I did the logical thing, and made a Culturalist list: StageElf's Top Ten Best Reasons to See a Broadway Show in Previews :)! Enjoy!
- For those of you who love theater, Broadway, and/or just love a good story, the new book The Untold Stories of Broadway, by theater historian and producer, Jennifer Ashley Tepper, is now available on Amazon.com!! Volume 2 is in the works as well!
Theatre Video Picks:
Get a first look at the new musical On Your Feet, from Gloria and Emilio Estefan. The show begins previews on Broadway on Oct 5 '15 at the Marquis Theatre!
Just in case you haven't yet gotten your tickets to the new Signature Theatre production of Sondheim's Sunday in the Park with George, which began previews Aug 5 '14, these two short videos (especially the bottom one :)) will be all the inspiration you need!
Here's a first peek at Tiler Peck, who plays the title role in the new Ahrens and Flaherty musical, Little Dancer, premiering at The Kennedy Center this winter. Recognize that costume? Think Degas.
The On The Town boys took on NYC! The show opens this fall at The Lyric Theater (formerly known as The Foxwoods Theatre).
It's a wild ride with Neil Patrick Harris on Broadway this summer, and he, Lena Hall (his costar) and the show are all now Tony winners! Andrew Rannells, Tony nominee for The Book of Mormon, will take over the role of Hedwig from Harris on Aug 20 '14.
Enjoy a taste of the Broadway musical A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, that now has the honor of being the show with the most (10!) Tony nominations and multiple wins!
Alan Cumming talks to CBS This Morning about his return to the role of the Emcee in Cabaret on Broadway, which has been extended into Jan '15!
The new musical, Bullets Over Broadway includes Zach Braff, and some of my favorite stage actors: Betsy Wolfe, Marin Mazzie, Brooks Ashmanskas and more! The show has announced that it will end its run on Aug 24 '14.
"Beautiful - The Carole King Musical":
It's BACK! Les Misérables is now running again at The Imperial Theatre on Broadway.
A Theatre View of One's Own
stagescape noun \stājskāp\: defn. the mind & heart's-eye view created by all the theater experiences you add to your life; altn. the compound term created from "stage" and "escape," and meaning to have an adventure at the theater that takes you both outside and inside yourself!
Follow me on Instagram too!
Shows I've Seen/Will See