Theater Quote for Today:
We can't all come and go by bubble.
Stephen Schwartz ("Wicked")
Stephen Schwartz ("Wicked")
ElfNote ✍ : Such a longtime favorite composer of mine; he had my heart from when I first saw Godspell at Ford's Theatre in Washington in the early 70s.
ElfNote ✍ : James Earl Jones was a highlight of The Best Man for me in 2012, and I'm really looking forward to seeing Anika Noni Rose in the revival of Les Misérables, that just began previews last week.
(some milestones courtesy of playbillvault.com)
ElfNote ✍ : I saw the show at The American Repertory Theater in Boston, pre-Broadway. The power of Bryan Cranston's performance in this play is unbelievable, and the story provides a fascinating insight into LBJ, both personally and professionally. But it's more than just LBJ, the show is rich in context and the range of characters, such as Martin Luther King, J. Edgar Hoover, Lady Bird Johnson, and more, gives it a satisfying depth.
ElfNote ✍ : This genial, charismatic actor is such a treat to see on stage and off. I loved him in both The Guardsman at The Kennedy Center last season, and in No Man's Land/Waiting for Godot this season! I wish I'd had the chance to see him in the acclaimed play The Whale in 2012.
Did you know?
- Two new Broadway shows for next season have been announced in the press: On The Town will be the first show at the theater formerly known as Foxwoods Theatre, under its new name, The Lyric Theatre in Fall '14; and a revival of Fiddler on the Roof is planned for 2015.
- Check out my theater-going adventures from December at Stage Left...Behind/December '13. December was a packed month of shows (17!)!
- A new musical incorporating music by Sting, The Last Ship, will arrive on Broadway in the Fall '14, after a short Chicago preview in the summer. The musical will run at The Neil Simon Theatre.
- I was thrilled to read the news that the West End musical Top Hat, which I saw in London this past July, is getting a developmental workshop/lab in NYC in March. Read more at Playbill.com.
- There are numerous well-known actors from various genres appearing on Broadway in 2014. I've done a (not exhaustive :)) list, Star Lights, Stars Bright on the Stage Presence: A Blog page.
- The Realistic Joneses, a new play starring Toni Collette and Michael C. Hall, has found its home on Broadway at The Lyceum Theatre, with previews beginning Mar 13 '14.
- All The Way, which premiered at American Repertory Theatre in Boston in Fall '13, and stars Bryan Cranston as Lyndon Johnson has begun preview performances at the Neil Simon Theatre. Read about my experience after the show in Boston at Stage Door Tales: Breaking Good.
- The participating shows for Kids Night on Broadway for 2014 have been announced, and include old friends like Wicked, Newsies, Pippin and Kinky Boots; and new offerings like Beautiful, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, The Bronx Bombers and many more! Check out my Stage Sprites page for more kid-centered theater information.
- If you have and/or know a child who would enjoy a theater-focused camp this summer (and some theater's have kids' programs all year round!), Broadway Direct has an overview of some considerations when searching for the right place!
- If you're looking for a list of current shows I've enjoyed, and would recommend, you'll find it on the Stage Directions/Let's See a Show page.
- I often get asked about preview periods of Broadway (and other) shows, and whether to see a show during previews. So I did the logical thing, and made a Culturalist list: StageElf's Top Ten Best Reasons to See a Broadway Show in Previews :)! Enjoy!
- I've shared some favorite memories of my theatrical adventures in 2013 in my post Memories from the House 2013 on the Stage Presence: A Blog page.
- I had a great time at the stage door after Waiting for Godot, starring Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart. Read about it in my Stage Door Tales/"Waiting" for fun! blog post of Nov 27 '13.
- For those of you who love theater, Broadway, and/or just love a good story, the new book The Untold Stories of Broadway, by theater historian and producer, Jennifer Ashley Tepper, is now available on Amazon.com!!
Theatre Video Picks:
Despite some, um, confusion as to the name of the lovely woman performing the Oscar-winning song "Let It Go," at the Oscar ceremony last evening, Idina kills it :) (If/Then arrives on Broadway this week):
Get a taste of the highly praised new musical revue on Broadway focused on the Jazz Age, After Midnight (currently starring k.d. lang for a limited time):
Here's a look at Broadway's new play about LBJ, All The Way, starring Bryan Cranston:
"Beautiful - The Carole King Musical":
It's finally returning to Broadway! Les Misérables opens in previews Mar 1 '14:
The musical stage adaptation of Bullets Over Broadway is almost here! The show opens in previews on Mar 11 '14:
The nice people at 54 Below and the talented people that put together the recent incarnation of the fictional musical Hit List from the television show Smash, have provided video highlights from the concert! In this one, the cast sings the final number, Joe Iconis' The Goodbye Song:
Enjoy a taste of the new Broadway musical A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder! It's gotten rave reviews and I heartily recommend it!
The musical stage production of King Kong, which has had several extensions of its original Melbourne, Australia engagement is coming to Broadway!
Enjoy Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan talking about their current Broadway collaboration in No Man's Land and Waiting For Godot, playing in repertory at The Cort Theatre:
"Pippin," winner of the 2013 Tony Award for Best Revival:
A Theatre View of One's Own
stagescape noun \stājskāp\: defn. the mind & heart's-eye view created by all the theater experiences you add to your life; altn. the compound term created from "stage" and "escape," and meaning to have an adventure at the theater that takes you both outside and inside yourself!
Follow me on Instagram too!
Shows I've Seen/Will See