Today's Theater Quote:
In an amusement park, you can go on a roller coaster that carries you up and down, or you can go on another kind of ride that whirls you around in a circle. Similarly, there are different sorts of entertaining experiences in the theater.
The show has started its US tour in San Francisco already!
In the wings:
- I had the chance to get some insight from Director Eric Schaeffer and leading man Charlie Pollock of the current Signature Theatre production of the musical about ambition, lust and faith, Elmer Gantry, for BroadwayWorld.com: Direct From Signature: Eric and Charlie Talk Elmer (Gantry)!
- Meet the multitalented Matthew Gardiner, Associate Artistic Director of Virginia's Signature Theatre and director of the season opener, Sunday in the Park with George, who I recently interviewed for BroadwayWorld.com: Direct From Signature with Matthew Gardiner.
- On Aug 2 '14, DC's Signature Theatre invited its fans and neighbors to an Open House celebration of their 2014-15 season. Read about all the fun I had in my report for BroadwayWorld.com : Signature Theatre's 25th Anniversary Open House: 'Signature Surprises' All Season Long!
- My Stage Door Tales blog post, Hedwig Hangs Out, is about how the stage door made for some damp fun at Hedwig and the Angry Inch last month.
- Looking for the official website or Twitter feed of a show? You'll find an alphabetical listing of current and past shows on my Stage Directions: Show Websites/Twitter Feed page.
- There are numerous well-known actors from various genres appearing on Broadway in 2014. I've done a (not exhaustive :)) list, Star Lights, Stars Bright on the Stage Presence: A Blog page.
- Check out my Stage Sprites page for more kid-centered theater information.
- If you have and/or know a child who would enjoy a theater-focused camp this summer (and some theater's have kids' programs all year round!), Broadway Direct has an overview of some considerations when searching for the right place!
- If you're looking for a list of current shows I've enjoyed, and would recommend, you'll find it on the Stage Directions/Let's See a Show page.
- I often get asked about preview periods of Broadway (and other) shows, and whether to see a show during previews. So I did the logical thing, and made a Culturalist list: StageElf's Top Ten Best Reasons to See a Broadway Show in Previews :)! Enjoy!
- For those of you who love theater, Broadway, and/or just love a good story, the new book The Untold Stories of Broadway, by theater historian and producer, Jennifer Ashley Tepper, is now available on Amazon.com!! Volume 2 is in the works as well!
Theatre Video Picks:
You Can't Take it With You officially opens on Broadway Sun Sep 28 '14! James Earl Jones leads a fabulous cast of comedic actors!
Don't miss the hilarity and true heart of Found The Musical, Off Broadway at Atlantic Theatre!
Broadway's Jane Houdyshell is bringing her charm and comedic talents to Arena Stage in DC for the world premiere of The Shoplifters through Oct 19 '14!
Get a first look at the new musical On Your Feet, from Gloria and Emilio Estefan. The show begins previews on Broadway on Oct 5 '15 at the Marquis Theatre!
Here's a first peek at Tiler Peck, who plays the title role in the new Ahrens and Flaherty musical, Little Dancer, premiering at The Kennedy Center this winter. Recognize that costume? Think Degas.
The On The Town boys took on NYC! The show opens this fall at The Lyric Theater (formerly known as The Foxwoods Theatre).
It's a wild ride with Hedwig in the person of Andrew Rannells and Lena Hall (his costar). Michael C. Hall takes over for Rannells on Oct 16 '14.
Enjoy a taste of the Broadway musical A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, that now has the honor of being the show with the most (10!) Tony nominations and multiple wins!
Alan Cumming talks to CBS This Morning about his return to the role of the Emcee in Cabaret on Broadway, which has been extended into Jan '15!
"Beautiful - The Carole King Musical":
It's BACK! Les Misérables is now running again at The Imperial Theatre on Broadway.
A Theatre View of One's Own
stagescape noun \stājskāp\: defn. the mind & heart's-eye view created by all the theater experiences you add to your life; altn. the compound term created from "stage" and "escape," and meaning to have an adventure at the theater that takes you both outside and inside yourself!
Follow me on Instagram too!
Shows I've Seen/Will See